+- +-


Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Forgot your password?

+-Stats ezBlock

Total Members: 41
Latest: Heather31
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Total Posts: 1076
Total Topics: 192
Most Online Today: 6
Most Online Ever: 17
(January 07, 2020, 01:34:45 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 1
Total: 1

Author Topic: Newspaper Articles  (Read 1392 times)


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles #149
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2019, 08:19:07 am »
The Caledonian-Record

February 10, 2005

Maura Murray Remembered A Year After Disappearance - Fears Center On Abduction

By Gary E. Lindsley

News photographers and reporters practically outnumbered family and friends of Maura Murray as they marked the one-year anniversary of her disappearance with a ceremony Wednesday.

Kathleen Murray, Maura's sister, wiped away tears and buried her head in the shoulder of her fiance, Tim Carpenter, as a small boom box played the song, "For Maura."

Others choked back tears or dabbed at them with tissues as traffic passed by on Route 112, the site where Maura Murray was involved in a minor one-car accident the night of Feb. 9, 2004.

She hasn't been seen or heard from since. Her credit card, cell phone and bank account have not been used in the year since she disappeared, according to her family.

Maura, a nursing student, left her dorm at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst around 4 p.m. Feb. 9 and is believed to have been heading to Bartlett, N.H., according to family members. She and her father, Fred Murray, had stayed there numerous times during their jaunts to the White Mountains.

As Maura's 1996 black Saturn rounded a sharp left curve just past The Weathered Barn on Route 112 at about 7:30 p.m., she lost control of the car and it went off the right side of the highway, striking a tree.

Butch Atwood, a First Student bus driver who lives just up the road from the accident scene, stopped his school bus by the Saturn to see if he could help. Murray was still in her car.

"I saw no blood," he said at the time. "She was cold and she was shivering. I told her I was going to call the police."

Maura, according to Atwood, told him not to because she had already called the AAA.

Atwood said he invited the woman to wait at his house nearby, but she declined. He said he then went home to call 911.

After about seven to nine minutes, he said he looked out and saw a Haverhill police cruiser by the Saturn. A short time later, Haverhill Police Department's Sgt. Cecil Smith notified Atwood that when he arrived at the crash scene, Murray was no longer with her car.

On Wednesday Maura's father placed a new picture and bow on the tree where Maura had her accident.

There also was a prayer given by the Rev. Lyn McIntosh. The song, "For Maura," was written and sung by Maura's friend Jenny Brooks.

"I have been up here more than I have cared to," Kathleen Murray said. "It's very hard. It's not getting any easier."

During the early stages after her sister's disappearance, she visited the area to help search for Maura.

"There is no question she was going to Bartlett," Fred Murray said after the observance Wednesday afternoon. "It is our favorite place. Bartlett is our home operation up here."

He said he and Maura used to visit the area four to five times a year and would hike area mountains in the region.

"We've been going there ever since I changed her diapers in the woods," Fred Murray said.

Although he is hopeful his daughter is still alive, he said he is also realistic. He said he has visited the area nearly every weekend since Maura's accident and disappearance to search every nook and cranny.

"I have gone into some spots (that were) really scary," he said. "Every time I feel a little lighter and younger when I come out of the woods and I don't find anything."

Although he doesn't believe it actually happened, Fred is hopeful someone picked Maura up after the accident and took her to a bus station across the Connecticut River to catch a bus.

"I wish we didn't have to do this," he said. "I hope it's the last time I have to do this."


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles #150
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2019, 08:19:43 am »
The New Hampshire Union Leader

February 10, 2005

Missing Girl Remembered by Family on Anniversary

By Lorna Coloquhoun

HAVERHILL -- A year after her perplexing disappearance following a car accident, the family and friends of Maura Murray gathered at the corner where she was last seen to remember her and to pray that they would one day know what happened to her.

"Right now, I'm taking care of business -- stuff I have to do," said her father, Fred, yesterday. "I'll think about it later."

It was a year ago last night that Maura Murray, a nursing student at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, crashed her car on the corner of Route 112 in Swiftwater. In between the time neighbors called police and their subsequent arrival some 10 minutes later, the young woman vanished and has not been seen or heard from in the past year.

About a dozen family and friends gathered at that corner for a brief ceremony to remember her and to tend to the tree that has become a small shrine to her, tied with a blue ribbon and pictures of her.

Fred Murray cut away a faded blue ribbon and tattered photos of his daughter, replacing them with an enormous blue bow, its ribbons trailing to the ground, and new photos.

The Rev. Lyn O. McIntosh of Lisbon conducted a prayer circle.

"I am convinced there will be an answer," she said. "We are driven by hope and strengthened by everyone around us. I offer a prayer for Maura and for all of us."

Fred Murray, who has been critical of the investigation into his daughter's disappearance, recounted the accident and pondered how Maura could have started walking down the road. He mused about how police did not travel down the road to look for her that cold, dark night.

A search was mounted for her in the days that followed, and again last July. At that time, there was two feet of snow on the ground and searchers found no evidence that she went into the woods.

The investigation found that Murray had packed up her dorm room and headed north to the White Mountains, where she and her father had hiked over the years. She had also received a phone call at work in the days preceding her disappearance that was troubling enough to her that she had to be escorted back to her room. She e-mailed her professors to say that she would be leaving campus for about a week.

Prior to yesterday's ceremony, Fred Murray met with Gov. John Lynch for several minutes at the State House, urging him to use his influence to release records from the investigation.

"I asked, failing that, to have it declared a criminal investigation rather than a missing person investigation, and, if he didn't want to do that, I asked him to accept the offer of the FBI to come in," Murray said after the meeting with Lynch.

Lynch made no commitments on the specific requests.

"I told Mr. Murray that I will look into the situation, and I promised to get back to him as soon as I possibly can and that's how we left it," Lynch said.

State Police Lt. John Scarinza said yesterday that the investigation, which has already logged thousands of hours, continues.

"We are actively working on the case everyday," he said. "There is not a day that goes by when it's not on the forefront of our thoughts."

Murray is not impressed. He said he's heard nothing from the investigators in six months. "I am the investigation. That's why I want the information," he said.

Scarinza said his troopers talk with Murray on a regular basis when new leads appear. Murray's claim he hadn't heard from them in six months is "absolutely inaccurate," he said.

Scarinza did add that investigators have not "been able to develop leads that would explain what happened."

A song written by a friend of Maura's was played during yesterday's remembrance. After the notes faded, Fred Murray leaned his head against the tree bearing his daughter's photo.

"I wish you were here," he said. "I didn't want to have to do this -- I sure hope this is the last time we do this."

As the ceremony was breaking up, the family of Lorne Boulet of Bristol pulled off the road. Boulet, 23, was last seen July 29, 2001, at his home in Chichester and has not been seen since.

"We wanted to share our emotion with the Murrays," said Louise Holmburg of Bristol. "Lorne's been gone for three and a half years."

On the Net: http://www.mauramurray.com/


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles #151
« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2019, 08:20:34 am »
Boston Herald

February 10, 2005

Page 20

Mass. dad asks N.H. gov for help finding daughter

By Marie Szaniszlo

The father of a University of Massachusetts at Amherst student who vanished a year ago on a New Hampshire road asked Gov. John Lynch yesterday to release records of the investigation and accept the FBI's offer to help find her.

"Right now, I am the investigation," Fred Murray said "That's why I want the information."

New Hampshire state police have declined the FBI's offer to help find Maura Murray, saying there is no evidence of foul play, even though the nursing student and former West Point cadet left behind her car and belongings after it skidded into a snowbank on Route 112 in Haverhill.

From his home nearby, a witness called police, who arrived within 10 minutes, but by then, she was gone.

"She didn't just vanish into thin air," her mother, Laurie Murray, said.

Lynch said he would consider the family's request and contact them "as soon as I possibly can."

Family and friends have started a Web site, www.mauramurray.com, and are offering a $40,000 reward.

Herald wire services contributed to this report.


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles #152
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2019, 08:21:02 am »
Portsmouth Herald

February 10, 2005

Missing lady’s dad visits gov. - Fred Murray asks that investigation records be released

By Anne Saunders

Associated Press

CONCORD - The father of a Massachusetts woman who disappeared a year ago met with Gov. John Lynch on Wednesday to ask for his help in getting records of the investigation.

Fred Murray, whose daughter, Maura, vanished after a minor car accident in Haverhill, wants state police to release their records so he can pursue leads himself.

“I asked, failing that, to have it declared a criminal investigation rather than a missing person investigation, and, if he didn’t want to do that, I asked him to accept the offer of the FBI to come in,” Murray said after the meeting with Lynch.

Lynch made no commitments on the specific requests.

“I told Mr. Murray that I will look into the situation, and I promised to get back to him as soon as I possibly can, and that’s how we left it," he said.

Maura, a nursing student at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, was last seen on Feb. 9, 2004, walking away from her car on Route 112 in Haverhill. Police said they have no evidence of foul play and have searched the area repeatedly.

“Literally thousands and thousands of hours have been invested in the search for Maura Murray,” said state police Lt. John Scarinza, of Troop F, which is handling the investigation.

Murray was highly critical of state police and said he’s heard nothing from the investigators in six months.

“I am the investigation. That’s why I want the information," he said. Scarinza said his troopers talk with Murray on a regular basis when new leads appear.

Murray’s claim he hadn't heard from them in six months is “absolutely inaccurate.” he said.


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles #153
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2019, 08:21:56 am »
The Patriot Ledger

February 10, 2005

Haunted, but hopeful: Family wants N.H. police to do more to find Maura Murray, who disappeared a year ago

By Joe McGee

HAVERHILL, N.H. - Fred Murray rips down a worn blue ribbon from a tree standing off the side of a country road. It has been a year since his daughter, Maura Murray of Hanson, disappeared from this site on Route 112 in Haverhill. Murray puts up a new ribbon as a symbol of new hope.

‘‘I hope this will be the last time we have to do this,'' he said.

Maura, then 22, left the University of Massachusetts at Amherst on Feb. 9, 2004, and was last seen that evening on Route 112 after the car she was driving crashed off the road.

She may have wanted to get away from personal problems of some nature when she left Amherst and so she is officially listed as a missing person. But her family believes she was abducted after the crash. Credit cards and a cell phone were inactive and it is unlike her not to contact her family during a time of need.

After a year of waiting and wondering in anguish, Fred Murray and his family are tired of hearing questions about why Maura left school. They want to know what happened when she reached Haverhill.

‘‘They say she was suicidal and a runaway but there is no sign of it. The wrong guy picked her up,'' Murray said.

Murray brought this message directly to Gov. John Lynch yesterday when he entered the State House's executive chamber and interrupted a meeting to personally ask the governor to release records of his daughter's case. Murray believes the New Hampshire State Police were lax in their investigation and now feels it is his duty to follow all possible leads.

Lynch made no commitments. ‘‘I told Mr. Murray that I will look into the situation, and I promised to get back to him as soon as I possibly can,'' he said.

Murray said the meeting was a positive start toward repairing relations between him and investigators handling the case.

New Hampshire State Police Lt. John Scarniza said that if Lynch's office calls he won't be able to offer any new information even though his detectives have spent ‘‘thousands'' of hours investigating the case.

‘‘Contrary to what Mr. Murray says, this case continues to be a high priority,'' he said.

Music and prayer

Murray's State House appearance was followed later in the afternoon with a prayer vigil at the crash site.

A group of family and friends followed Murray from Concord north to where Maura was last seen. The trip along Route 112 (the Kancamagus Highway) winds through the White Mountain National Forest and along the Wild Ammonoosuc River in some of the most deserted areas of the region.

‘‘It's hard to come here. This place reminds me of her because I've been up here so many times to look for her,'' said Maura's brother, Fred Murray of Hanson.

Clergy read a prayer and a special song written for Maura by Jenny Brooks, a high school classmate, was played by the roadside.

‘‘We're haunted by the unknown but driven by hope,'' the Rev. Lyn McIntosh of Lisbon, N.H., said to the group.

The Murrays spent the last year traveling this rugged country on the weekends to search and investigate on their own. While some locals sympathize with the family, others are upset by their walking on private property, questioning of neighbors and the media attention the case has brought to their rural community.

Butch Atwood was the last person reported to have seen Maura alive. He offered her a ride to his home up the road where his wife and mother were that night. Atwood says Maura refused his help but he called police anyway.

Maura was gone when a police officer arrived. There were no footprints or any other markers to show where she was headed.

Atwood said he is tired of having his name associated with the case. He said reporters have continually questioned him and taken undesirable photographs that may lead some to believe he was a suspect. Police, however, said they questioned Atwood as a matter of routine but never considered him a suspect.

‘‘I'm irritated beyond irritation,'' Atwood said. ‘‘I only tried to help her. It hurts.''

A former Taunton, Mass. police officer, Atwood and his wife moved to New Hampshire in 1984. Because of his police background, Atwood said he has always been kind to stranded motorists.

Neighbors disagree

The owner of a general store near Haverhill feels the same resentment toward Fred Murray.

‘‘He's just wrong. He's not telling us everything about her and what he's done is turned neighbor against neighbor up here,'' Bill Matteson said.

But among the disgruntled townspeople are people like Gina Paye who said she lives on Route 112 with three young children. A Springfield, Mass., native, Paye said she has reconsidered her move to the area since Maura's disappearance. Now she doesn't let the children out of her sight.

‘‘It has made me very nervous about living here and I don't know if it's safe anymore,'' Paye said.

‘‘I don't want to down our police department but I honestly don't know if they searched enough. I don't care about her background or if she was drinking. My feeling is she was picked up and we need to know what happened.''

Murray said he won't rest until that question is answered.

‘‘I'm encouraged,'' he said after meeting with Lynch. ‘‘But I'll be more encouraged when I see a better response (from police).''

Joe McGee may be reached at jmcgee@ledger.com.


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles #154
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2019, 08:22:38 am »
Journal Opinion

February 25, 2005

Page 1


Haverhill -- Haverhill Police Chief Jeff Williams confirmed Monday that a rumor circulated over the weekend is untrue -- no body has been found in Haverhill, and Maura Murray's whereabouts are still unknown, he said.


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles #155
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2019, 08:23:11 am »
New Hampshire Union Leader

March 3, 2005

Cars, cabin now focus of search

By Stephen Seitz

Goshen -- Two cars seized by police may contain clues to the disappearance of Edith "Pen" Meyer, who vanished from her home in Goshen last week.

One car was found in Claremont, and the other car was taken from a Lempster resident, police said. No further information was released about the vehicles.

Investigators also spent much of the day searching a cabin in that town.

Despite this, investigators say that the 55-year-old woman's disappearance is still considered "unusual."

"We won't consider this to be suspicious unless we have evidence of foul play," said Senior Assistant Attorney General Will Delker. "On Monday, we seized a car based on following up a tip, and the car will be searched."

The car does not belong to Meyer, Delker said; her vehicle is still in its place in her garage.

"The house looks like somebody just left," Delker said. "What it looks like is that she either walked out or somebody picked her up."

Meyer was last seen on the evening of Feb. 22 when some friends were visiting. She was supposed to meet someone the next morning. An avid snowshoer who rarely left the house without her dog, that friend was surprised to find both snowshoes and spaniel, but not Meyer. He alerted police, who have been searching ever since. An extensive search has eliminated the woods around her home on Gunnison Lake.

Many of the usual investigative avenues turned up dry. "She didn't have a cell phone," Delker said. "I don't know if she had a computer. We looked at her financial records and her credit cards, and there's no activity after her disappearance."

More personal details are emerging about Meyer's background. According to court documents, her brief second marriage ended last September in Sullivan Superior Court.

Meyer married Newbury resident Richard G. Rankin, now 65, in Goshen on Dec. 29, 2001. Meyer moved to New Hampshire in 1978, Rankin in 1994. The pair separated on May 18, 2004, and filed a joint petition for divorce on Aug. 12. The couple divided their possessions and finances, and the divorce was granted on Sept. 15. According to the decree, this was Rankin's second marriage and Meyer's third.

Attempts to contact Rankin were unsuccessful yesterday.

The couple had no children, though Meyer has three, two of whom, authorities said, live in New Hampshire. In divorce records in the space for her work number, the form reads "n/a" (not applicable). There were no court cases pending against either party when the divorce went through, or since. No domestic violence or restraining orders were on file at Newport district court.

Meyer was active in preservation causes, sold her weaving at area craft fairs, and served as membership director for the Norwich Farmers' Market in Vermont.

Despite this, according to Suzie Wallis, the market's president, no one there seemed to know her very well. Wallis said the matter of Meyer's disappearance was raised at the organization's board meeting Monday night.

"The members found the news sad and upsetting," said Wallis, "and they're sad that she's still missing. I've known her for a very long time, but only through the market, not socially. We knew that she had been married and divorced, and was divorced again. Otherwise, we have very little information."

New Hampshire authorities said the search is still being conducted in New Hampshire.

A number of women in New Hampshire have been missing or murdered in mysterious circumstances in recent years:

Maura Murray, a nursing student at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, crashed her car on Route 112 in Swiftwater in February 2004, walked into the woods, and disappeared, leaving no trace.

Brianna Maitland, also a U-Mass student, vanished after leaving the restaurant where she worked in Montgomery, Vt. the following month.

Louise Chaput, of Sherbrooke, Quebec, was stabbed to death while hiking in Pinkham Notch in November 2001.

Tina and Bethany Sinclair, residents of West Chesterfield, left their home one night in February 2001, and haven't been heard of since. However, in that case, authorities have identified a probable suspect in the disappearance of the mother and daughter.

The publicity surrounding the current case has brought plenty of tips from the public.

"A lot of people have been very helpful," said Maj. Barry Hunter of the state police Major Crime Unit. "I only wish we could ask for something specific, but we'll take as much information as we can get."

Investigators are based at the Goshen Police Department, and police encourage anyone with information to drop in. A toll-free number, 1-800-852-3411, has been set up at state police headquarters for callers who have tips. The public also may call the state police Troop C barracks in Keene at 358-3333.


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles # 156-Part1
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2019, 08:24:16 am »
Steve Huff's Crime Blog

July 21, 2005

(1 of 3)

Maura, Brianna, and the Valley Killer?

(NOTE: My entries about the Coeur d’Alene, Idaho Groene murders/abduction and alleged killer, kidnapper and child rapist Joseph Edward Duncan III can be found here—The Groene Murders…)

If you click the thumbnail on the left it will take you to a map of the Vermont/New Hampshire border. The map you will see once you’re there is best viewed by pressing F11 on your keyboard to render it full-screen. Pressing F11 again, by the way, will render your screen back to normal, unless you like the full-screen effect in general.

On the map I’ve marked the approximate locations where victims of a still-unsolved series of murders committed by a killer local press dubbed the “Valley Killer” were found. In addition to the known victims of the Valley Killer I have also marked the approximate location in northern New Hampshire where, on a wintry February night in 2004, 21-year-old Maura Murray disappeared.

On the surface, there appears to be little reason to connect Maura Murray’s disappearance with a series of apparent abductions and murders that seemed to cease in 1988. In fact, there seems to be an attitude on the part of authorities responsible for investigating Maura’s disappearance that Maura might have even made a conscious decision to vanish that February night, over a year ago.

It is true that events leading up to Maura’s disappearance are puzzling. From a column in the Boston Globe by Brian McGrory published February 27, 2004, titled, Footprints in the Snow:

(...)Maura received a call on the evening of Feb. 5 that reduced her to tears. A couple of days later, she told professors she’d be gone for a week for a family emergency. On Feb. 9, she left her boyfriend of three years, an army lieutenant in Oklahoma, an e-mail and voice mail in which she indicated nothing wrong, packed her car, and headed north.

The next time she was seen was in this tiny valley town (Haverhill, New Hampshire), by Butch Atwood, a 58-year-old local school bus driver who passed her car as it sat in the snowbank. He said he stopped and asked if she needed help. She declined. He drove the 100 yards to his house and called the police. When they arrived, she was gone…

The weather that night was, as it can be in that part of New England in February, cold and nasty, the roads freezing. Maura had already had a wreck earlier that week, on February 8, at 3:30 a.m. She’d run her father’s new Toyota into a roadside post.

The morning of Monday, February 9th, 2004, the day Maura vanished, she is known to have done the following:

Some time after midnight on the ninth Maura performed a Mapquest search of the Berkshires and Burlington, Vermont.

At 3:40 p.m. that afternoon, Maura Murray withdrew $280 from an ATM and later made a stop at a local liquor store in Amherst, where she was attending the University of Massachusetts. Surveillance cameras recorded her movements at both locations and she appeared to be alone.

The next time anyone saw Maura Murray was on that icy road in Haverhill, New Hampshire. It was about 7 p.m. when Butch Atwood asked the young woman if she needed help.

In the 10 minutes between Atwood driving 100 yards to his home and the police arriving at the scene, Maura Murray vanished.

Maura had no known health issues, physically or mentally, and her grades were good. Her relationship with her boyfriend was solid. There were no tracks leading into the woods by the road where she had the mishap in Haverhill, tracking dogs found no scent, and aircraft with heat-seeking devices found nothing in the area.

Ten minutes to most of us doesn’t sound like much time at all. Yet in that brief span of time, Maura Murray vanished without a trace.

Why even assume that Maura’s disappearance has anything to do with a pattern of murders that seemed to stop about 16 years ago? Why assume that her disappearance was part of a pattern at all? People young and old do disappear, and they disappear at random, sadly. Natalee Holloway is the first middle class white American girl to disappear in the manner she did from the island of Aruba in recent memory, perhaps ever, and no one has disappeared since Natalee vanished. No one is murmuring warnings of serial murder down there.

Well, they shouldn’t. And perhaps if Maura was the only young woman to vanish in the winter of 2004 from that northern border area between New Hampshire and Vermont there would be no reason to suspect any pattern at work.

But on March 19, 2004, just under 100 miles due north along Interstate 91, Brianna Maitland vanished.

One month and ten days after the mystery of Maura Murray began, Brianna Maitland left her job at a restaurant in Montgomery, Vermont in her 1985 Oldsmobile 88. Her car was found abandoned later against the side of a barn one mile from Brianna’s workplace. Brianna left behind a couple of paychecks in the vehicle, as well as contact lenses and medication she apparently needed.

In this article published on May 6, 2004 in the St. Johnsbury, Vermont Caledonian-Record, a meeting between the parents of Maura Murray and Brianna Maitland was detailed. From the article, titled, Police Have New Lead In Maura Murray Case:

The Maitlands and Murray believe there may be a connection between what has happened to their daughters. And they want that connection explored.

However, state police from Vermont and New Hampshire have discounted any connection between the disappearances of Brianna and Maura…

Often law enforcement agencies dislike efforts to link crimes in this manner. The term used by some who study serial crime for this problem is linkage blindness. Serial killers depend on linkage blindness—it is the achilles heel of local law enforcement, and can permit a killer clever enough to understand the problem years of anonymous freedom. Jurisdictions don’t exchange information, have separate and proprietary databases they use to track criminals and types of crime. Some departments, quite simply, compete, and try to outdo one another in percentage of crimes solved, number of perpetrators arrested.

There are many problems with mentioning Maura Murray and Brianna Maitland and then thinking about any connection between these girls disappearing and a serial criminal prowling the interstate that marks the border between Vermont and New Hampshire. If we want to go ahead and wonder about a connection to the Valley Killer from the late ‘70s and ‘80s and these girls, we have the gap of 16 years between the Valley Killer’s last known murder and the winter of 2004. The initial tendency is to doubt such a gap, since we know serial criminals either tend to keep killing or die, most of the time. If anything, amateur cybersleuths like me are guilty of the opposite of linkage blindness, if we are honest with ourselves—amateur sleuthing can lead to a bit too much of a conspiratorial mindset. It can be too easy to fall prey to what we’ve learned from crime fiction, and forget that the movies, novels, and fact are often as different as night and day.

But is it a rule that serial criminals only cease their favorite pasttimes when they get too sick to move or die? Nope. They age like the rest of us, and sometimes they just slow down. My favorite example at the moment—if “favorite” is the right word—Dennis Rader, the BTK Strangler, just recently confessed to 10 murders. Until March of 2004 Wichita authorities were fairly certain BTK’s murders had ceased in 1977. Only after Rader started talking did we find that he simply became more patient, more careful. More deliberate. In 1985, his neighbor Marine Hedge. In 1986, a murder the squad actively hunting BTK actually declared shortly after its discovery to definitely not be his—Vicki Wegerle. And if Rader is to be believed, finally, in 1991, Dorothy “Dee” Davis.

Rader’s method of operation changed. Not much—but just enough. He ceased his communication with authorities and the press. He abducted two of his later victims, where he’d killed people inside their homes before. Small changes, in retrospect. His victims, too, seemed to age with the killer—Hedge and Davis both in their fifties while Rader was still in his forties.

The point is, Dennis Rader proved to us all that even when we think they’ve gone away, sometimes they haven’t. Robert Graysmith, in his comprehensive book about the Zodiac Killer, may have discovered more than 40 murders beyond those for which Zodiac took credit in his many letters to the San Francisco press and northern California authorities. Those authorities have never been able to back Mr. Graysmith up, and some of them seem to prefer strongly the idea that Zodiac either died or moved from his habitual killing zone—that if Zodiac kept killing it was so far removed that law enforcement couldn’t adequately connect the crimes and recognize the signature of a single criminal.

I am saying, I suppose, that it isn’t as crazy to think the Valley Killer went away as it might seem at first glance. The link in the killer’s moniker in the preceding sentence will take you to verbal_plainfield’s comprehensive geocities site about serial murder, and the breakdown of the Valley Killer’s known crimes there is pretty succinct. A quote from verbal_plainfield:


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles # 156-Part2
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2019, 08:24:59 am »
Steve Huff's Crime Blog

July 21, 2005

(2 of 3)

The unknown slayer’s first victim was likely Cathy Millican, 26, her body found on September 25, 1978, in a wetlands preserve near New London, New Hampshire. She had been stabbed to death. (...T)he Valley Killer struck again on May 30, 1984. Nurse’s aid Bernice Courtemanche, 17 when she disappeared, was not found until almost two years after her disappearance. A subsequent autopsy revealed evidence that she too had been stabbed to death.

Nurse Ellen Fried went missing on July 10, 1984, but her remains were not discovered until over a year later in rural New Hampshire. Her autopsy also showed signs that she had died by knife. Eva Morse was last seen hitchhiking in Charlestown, New Hampshire, after leaving her place of work on July 10, 1985. Her corpse was not located until logger found it on April 25, 1986, with obvious evidence of knife wounds. Next was Lynda Moore, stabbed to death in her home outside of Saxtons River, Vermont, on May 15, 1986. Courtemanche, Fried, and Morse had all disappeared from Claremont , New Hampshire.

Another nurse was murdered by the elusive killer in January of 1987. Barbera Agnew, 36, disappeared on her way home from a ski trip. Her car was soon found abandoned at a Vermont rest stop but her body was not discovered unti March 28. She too was the victim of a vicious stabbing with wounds in the neck and lower abdomen area, which investigators were learning was the Valley Killer’s signature…

Again, the map I linked at the beginning of this entry is no work of art—I didn’t even use photoshop—but it does give you a decent visual representation of the locations of the Valley Killer’s dump sites. In general he seemed to keep his trolling confined to the Claremont area, tending to keep close to the border between the states. It would appear that Interstates 91 and 89 could have been his main routes of travel. He killed no further east than Cathy Millican in 1978, as far south along I-91 as Lynda Moore in Saxtons River, Vermont, in 1986.

I did not add Brianna Maitland’s disappearance to the map, but I did place a marker for Maura’s disappearance. She vanished from an empty country road in the dark, just a few miles from I-91 and the Connecticut River, which run like strange twins of asphalt and water northward until they part ways near St. Johnsbury.

When I first read of this unsolved series of murders and then wondered if there could be any connection between the killer trolling the I-91/Connecticut River corridor nearly 20 years ago and the girls missing last year I naturally shot as many holes as I could in the idea at first. I’ve tried to touch on a number of reasons it might be a silly conclusion to reach.

But there is also the nagging fact that Maura Murray was a nursing student.

From the North American Missing Persons Network page about Maura:

A nursing student from Amherst, MA, Maura was last seen at approximately 7:00 pm in the vicinity of Route 112 in Haverhill, NH…

Read the quote from the geocities site again and note:

Nurse’s aid Bernice Courtemanche

Nurse Ellen Fried went missing on July 10, 1984…

Another nurse… Barbera Agnew, 36…

It is an odd coincidence. Of the missing or dead women in question, the probable victims of the Valley Killer from the late ‘70s and ‘80s and the two girls who vanished in 2004, 4 were either associated with the nursing profession—student, nurse’s aid—or actually a nurse. If we include Brianna Maitland and Maura Murray as possibly having run afoul of the Hollow Man traveling that Interstate route, we have have 9 potential victims of the Valley Killer—six women apparently abducted and murdered, one—Jane Boroski—attacked but survived, two vanished.

Note too that I wrote “interstate route.” You can see at the verbal_plainfield site that it is the fact that the murders which began with the death of Cathy Millican in 1978 occurred mostly in the Connecticut River Valley that eventually even gave the unknown killer his nickname. Michael Newton, who has entries in both his Encyclopedia of Serial Killers and The Encyclopedia of Unsolved Crimes about this case, begins his own entries in the books thusly:

The scenic Connecticut River Valley forms a natural border between the states of New Hampshire aqnd Vermont… ~ Michael Newton’s Encyclopedia of Serial Killers, page 228.


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles # 156-Part3
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2019, 08:25:41 am »
Steve Huff's Crime Blog

July 21, 2005

(3 of 3)

What occurred to me as I looked at maps tonight, both online and off, and tried to incorporate the idea that perhaps Brianna Maitland and Maura Murray both might have met up with a legacy older than anyone living along the border between those small New England states may understand, was that Interstate 91 parallels the Connecticut River—until St. Johnsbury, where I-93 splits off from 91 and the Connecticut River appears to wend northeastward while I-91 continues a more northerly track. If you continue on I-91 you eventually merge on to U.S. Highway 5 heading west, toward Montgomery, Vermont. And of course in March of 2004, just a little over a month after Maura Murray disappeared, the mystery of what happened to Brianna Maitland began in that very town. A mystery that is, if considered apart from any theories about the Valley Killer, still disturbingly similar to the one surrounding Maura.

So, Dr. Lecter asked Clarice, what does he do, this man you seek?

Consider the one who got away from the Valley Killer, Jane Boroski. Here is her experience as recounted in Michael Newton’s Encyclopedia of Serial Killers—Borowski was at a country store on Route 9 south of Keene, New Hampshire on August 6, 1988, when:

An unknown man approached Boroski in the parking lot, dragging her out of her car, and pulled a knife when she fought back. At one point in their scuffle, when she asked why he had chosen her, the man replied, “You beat up my girlfriend.” Boroski denied it, and the man appeared confused. “Isn’t this a Massachusetts car?” he asked. Boroski pointed out New Hampshire license plates, and the stranger hesitated, began to turn away, then rushed at her with the knife again… ~ The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers by Michael Newton, pages 229-230.

Boroski was able to give the only description available of the killer—a thin-lipped man with pale eyes and hair. Most interesting to me as I put this entry together was the odd exchange Jane Boroski had with her killer—“Isn’t this a Massachusetts car?”

Of course, it could have been just part of a ruse, or evidence of a truly disordered killer acting out of motivations making sense only to the voices in his head. Keene is close to the Massachusetts border, about sixty miles or so up I-91 and 14 miles or so east of the interstate down Highway 9. Maura Murray would have driven by on I-91 that February 9th, coming from Amherst and UMass, where she was studying to be a nurse.

Consider, then:

Serial killers are frequently the most mobile of criminals. Many of them drive habitually—Ted Bundy [crimelibrary.com link], is just one example of a serial killer who self-reported as much.

With the typical wanderlust of the serial killer in mind, consider it then as possibly being much more significant that Interstate 91 runs along the border between New Hampshire and Vermont than that the original Valley Killer murders took place in the Connecticut River Valley. The original crimes tended to center around the Claremont, New Hampshire area, but again, the killer appears to never have strayed much further from one of those interstate routes than when he killed Cathy Millican.

What could the connection between many of these victims and the nursing profession possibly be? Could it be significant that Maura Murray studied nursing at UMass Amherst, just south of the New Hampshire/Massachusetts border? Did any of the other victims from more than 20 years ago study at UMass?

The killer seemed non-plussed after seeing that Jane Boroski’s car was not from Massachusetts, to the degree that he seemed ready to back off. His final attack on the woman seemed like a second thought, since she’d seen his face, perhaps. Why would it matter if her car was from Massachusetts? Was there some esoteric criteria in the murderer’s head that dictated he look for cars crossing the state borders—to confuse authorities, and take advantage of “linkage blindness?”

All the victims were, as best as I can tell—fine details of the Valley Killer murders are not easy to come by—white women under 40. Three worked in some capacity as a nurse, Maura Murray was studying to be a nurse.

As demonstrated by what we now know about BTK, Dennis Rader, serial killers can slow down the pace of their murders and change their method of operation at will. The previous Valley Killer victims were mostly found some time after their deaths, indicating active efforts to hide the bodies in many instances. Neither Brianna nor Maura have been found—if we factored in the idea of the Valley Killer, would he have simply refined his methods at this point to the degree that he found a foolproof place to dispose of victims’ remains? If he has had all this time to practice, that is a logical conclusion.

Assuming for the moment there might be a connection between Maura, Brianna, and the Valley Killer; if there really did appear to be a lull between 1988 and 2004, where did the killer go? An examination of unsolved murders elsewhere in the U.S. that match up with what we know of the Valley Killer’s murders might not be a bad idea.

What happened to Brianna Maitland? To Maura Murray? At the moment we simply don’t know. We don’t even know if the similarities between the ways these girls disappeared are simply bizarre coincidences, or not. A twenty-something student and girl in her late teens, both attractive, one studying to be a medical professional, the other working as a waitress. Both of them appear to have single-car accidents, and both disappear completely, leaving their cars and questions behind.

Seven women in the 1970s and ‘80s attacked, six brutally murdered. Some of them connected across the years to Maura Murray by pursuit of a medical profession. Snaking through all of these questions the twin rivers of asphalt and water marking the borders of states, Interstate 91 and the Connecticut River.

The closest I can come to an answer in the midst of all this speculation at the moment is the idea that the truth, if it is ever found, will have much more to do with the highway than the river.


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles #157
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2019, 08:26:18 am »

About December 2005

Father sues for records in case of missing woman

HAVERHILL, N.H. The father of a Massachusetts woman who disappeared nearly two years ago in northern New Hampshire is suing to try to get investigative files.

Fred Murray of Hanson (Massachusetts) argues several police departments, the attorney general and the governor have violated the state Right to Know Law and federal Freedom of Information Act by not releasing files he has requested in the disappearance of his daughter, Maura Murray.

A hearing has been scheduled for January 18th in Grafton County Superior Court.

Murray disappeared on February ninth, 2004, after a minor crash in Haverhill. Fred Murray believes his daughter was a victim of foul play. He says authorities are treating her disappearance as a missing person's case.

On the Web: http://www.mauramurray.com.


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles #158
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2019, 08:26:54 am »
New Hampshire Union Leader

December 7, 2005

Mother set to bring children's bodies home

By Associated Press

Manchester -- The mother of two children whose bodies were discovered in Ohio last week said yesterday she is looking forward to meeting the woman who found her son and daughter.

Teri Knight said she will head to Ohio sometime this week to bring home the remains of Philip, 11, and Sarah Gehring, 14, killed by their father on July 4, 2003. A private funeral will be held Sunday in Hillsborough.

Manuel Gehring, 44, Knight's ex-husband, told police he killed the children somewhere in southern New Hampshire, then drove west until he buried them off Interstate 80 in the Midwest. He later killed himself in prison while awaiting trial.

Teri Knight, 44, a nurse, hasn't spoken yet with Stephanie Dietrich, the grocery cashier who found the children while walking her dog. Knight has Dietrich's phone number, but said she prefers a face-to-face meeting.

"If I'm going to go out there, let's have our first conversation in person," Knight said. "I'm anxious to meet her and the dog," she told WMUR-TV.

Dietrich, 44, lives in Akron, Ohio, about 15 miles from the spot in Hudson, Ohio, where she found the bodies.

Knight's husband, Jim Knight, said moving past the loss of Philip and Sarah has been easier by moving forward with their 2-year-old twin girls.

"We just get through it," he said. "Our twins help us a lot. They keep us busy. They've just been a godsend."

The Knights said they want to help other families search for missing loved ones in return for the generosity of the strangers who helped look for Sarah and Philip.

"It's helped us a great deal," Jim Knight said. "Now, we hope we can help others find their missing kids."

They specifically mentioned the case of Maura Murray, who disappeared in February 2004 after a single-car crash in Haverhill. No trace of the 21-year-old college student has been found.


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles #159
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2019, 08:27:25 am »
The Caledonian-Record

December 21, 2005

TV Program To Highlight Missing Woman's Case - New Efforts Mounted To Find Maura Murray

By Gary E. Lindsley

A network television program is going to highlight the case of a young Massachusetts woman who disappeared nearly two years ago in Haverhill, N.H., after she was involved in a minor car crash.

Maura Murray, a 22-year-old nursing student at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, was last seen by a school bus driver after her black Saturn crashed on a sharp left hand curve on Route 112 near the Weathered Barn, Feb. 9, 2004. She disappeared before police arrived.

The television program "20/20," which airs on ABC, will highlight Murray's disappearance on its Jan. 6 show, according to Sharon Rausch, the mother of Billy Rausch, Murray's fiance.

Rausch said she and her son were flown to ABC headquarters in New York, Dec. 7 for two days. They were interviewed from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. She said Fred Murray, Maura's father, was interviewed in Wells River, Vt., and at the site of the crash.

Donna Hunter, an assistant producer for "20/20," told Rausch "20/20" staff have been following Murray's case for awhile, according to Rausch.

The TV show's interest in Murray's case has been welcomed by Rausch, her son and Murray's family.

"My greatest hope is she is living and we will find out," said Rausch.

ABC News could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Rausch is encouraged that John Healy of Warner, N.H., and other retired law enforcement officers are going to investigate Murray's disappearance.

Healy, who retired as a lieutenant after 19 years with the New Hampshire State Police, said he has 10 volunteers from New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Vermont who will be taking part in the investigation.

Those volunteers include retired police chiefs and detectives who now are licensed private detectives.

"We want to make sure these cases never die," said Healy.

Healy met Murray's relatives at a training session put on by the Molly Bish Foundation. Molly Bish was abducted on June 27, 2000, from Comins Pond in Warren, Mass., where she worked as a lifeguard. Molly was 16 years old. The search ended June 9, 2003, when Molly's body was found just five miles from the family's home.

The foundation helps with cases involving missing children.

"We don't have a game plan yet," Healy said. "First thing is to nail down the time [she disappeared]. Right now, we are just trying to separate fact from fiction."

Statistics, he said, will play a large part in the way they will conduct their investigation.

Healy said nationally, statistics show if someone is harmed, their body is usually left within five miles of where they disappeared.

He and his team will utilize topographical maps and compasses to conduct a search within five miles of the crash scene.

They will visit Haverhill in January and February and drive along the area's roads to learn where someone might feel safe while dropping off a body. That information will be entered into a GPS system. Then, during warmer weather, searches will be conducted using search dogs.

The team will also look at Murray's cell phone bill and the last 20 to 30 calls in an attempt to determine what was going on in Murray's life before her disappearance.

According to Healy, STALK Inc., a team of profiling professionals, has also offered its services to help find Murray.

"Our hearts won't let her go," Rausch said. "That is where my greatest hope is ... if she is alive, she is well. If she has run away, let us know she is well."


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles #160
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2019, 08:27:53 am »
The New Hampshire Union Leader / Nashua Telegraph

December 25, 2005

20/20 to air story of missing student

HAVERHILL (AP) - The case of a college student who disappeared after a car crash in northern New Hampshire almost two years ago will be featured on ABC news magazine “20/20” next month.

Maura Murray, a 22-year-old nursing student at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, was last seen on Feb. 9,2004, walking away from her car on Route 112 in Haverhill.

Police said they have no evidence of foul play and have searched the area repeatedly.

Sharon Rausch, whose son is engaged to Murray, says she and her son were interviewed in New York earlier this month for a show to be aired Jan. 6. Murray’s father also was interviewed.


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 937
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Newspaper Articles #161
« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2019, 08:28:43 am »
The New Hampshire Union Leader

December 28, 2005

Father suing for records in 'missing' case

By Lorna Colquhoun

Haverhill -- The father of a woman who disappeared nearly two years ago after a minor car accident is suing several police agencies, as well as the governor, seeking the release of information tied to the investigation, according to court documents filed last week.

Fred Murray, father of Maura Murray, filed the papers last Wednesday in Grafton County Superior Court, charging that state police, Attorney General Kelly Ayotte, Gov. John Lynch, the state Fish and Game Department, Grafton County Attorney Ricardo St. Hillaire, the Grafton County Sheriff's Department and the Hanover Police Department, where the initial 911 call went after the report of the accident in February 2004, have violated the state's Right to Know Law and the federal Freedom of Information Act in not releasing investigative information he has requested in the years since his daughter's disappearance.

Not mentioned in the suit was the Haverhill Police Department, which initially investigated the accident before it was turned over to the state police.

Murray requested an expedited hearing on the lawsuits and it has been scheduled for 11 a.m. Jan. 18 at the Grafton County Superior Court. The documents were filed by the Chelmsford, Mass., law office of Gallant and Ervin.

The puzzling case of Maura Murray began on the night of Feb. 9, 2004, when the 21-year-old Massachusetts student crashed her vehicle on Route 112 in Swiftwater. Between the time a neighbor reported the accident and the arrival of the first officer on the scene a few minutes later, Murray vanished and has not been seen or heard from since then.

In the months that followed, according to the court papers, Fred Murray has requested the records pertaining to the investigation and was denied. Murray, in the court papers, contends that investigators have treated the case as a missing persons case.

Authorities have repeatedly maintained that they do not believe Maura was a victim of foul play," according to the court papers.

Yet, Murray maintains, his requests for the records were denied on the grounds that production called for confidential records created . . . or would constitute an invasion of privacy."

The documents contend that Murray has been assured" that the investigation into his daughter's disappearance is ongoing, but that he has not been made aware of any specific efforts the governmental authorities have taken in pursuing this matter within the past several months."

And, the court papers continue, If the investigation has concluded, (Murray) should be made aware of that fact" and the investigation turned over to him so he can continue to look for information in hopes of finding his daughter."

From the outset, Fred Murray has believed his daughter met with foul play.

The most compelling reason favoring disclosure in this case centers on the fact that Maura could very well still be in danger and disclosure of the information compiled by authorities could help locate her," according to the court papers. Although (investigators) have continued to dispute the notion, Fred Murray's familiarity with his daughter leads him to believe that it is likely that Maura Murray was the victim of foul play and may even still be in danger, rather than she went missing of her own accord."

Murray is requesting items such as accident reports, the inventory of items taken from her car, a copy of her computer hard drive left behind at her University of Massachusetts/Amherst dorm room, documents pertaining to searches, witness statements and the surveillance tape from a liquor store where she made a purchase.

On the first anniversary of his daughter's disappearance, Murray sent a letter to Lynch requesting his help in obtaining information.

The investigative body . . . has followed its astonishing careless go-through-the-motions response with an unnaturally steadfast refusal to communicate on the matter," Murray wrote.

A $40,000 reward is being offered for any information leading to Maura's safe return," according to a Web site being maintained for her at www.mauramurray.com.

The ABC news magazine 20/20 is preparing a segment on the case to be aired Jan. 6, according to the mother of Maura Murray's fiance. According to published reports, Sharon Rausch said she and her son were flown to New York earlier this month to be interviewed for the segment.


+-Recent Topics

Bill R bought a Saab in 2002 by TheRealFinn
March 25, 2020, 05:01:28 am

February 24, 2020, 06:46:45 am

Some of Maura's Handwritten Notes by MauraMurrayEvidence
February 19, 2020, 10:23:59 am

Maura's Gas Tank Measured Full (when studied in 2011) by TheRealFinn
February 09, 2020, 11:01:01 am

When Maura crashed her car, she was listening to The New Radicals - You Get What You Give by TheRealFinn
February 09, 2020, 10:56:27 am

Comprehensive Overview of search efforts in the Maura Murray Case-Part 1 by MauraMurrayEvidence
February 08, 2020, 02:22:33 pm

Transcription of Q&A With Strelzin et al From Missing Maura Murray Episode 27-Part 1 by MauraMurrayEvidence
February 08, 2020, 02:14:09 pm

License Suspension [as] "alerted by MA police"? by MauraMurrayEvidence
February 08, 2020, 01:47:21 pm

Fred Murray and Curtis Interview WATD (Audio) by MauraMurrayEvidence
February 08, 2020, 01:30:32 pm

Julie Murray Interviews MMM/True Crime Garage (Audio) by MauraMurrayEvidence
February 08, 2020, 01:29:46 pm